eschurr;175742 Wrote:
> thanks -- that's consistent with my experience, too.
>
> I can't see any reason to write ReplayGain tags (which only work with
> smart devices like a Squeezebox) as vs. adjusting the Gain on the file
> so it plays at the desired level on ANY playback device (like an
> iPod).
>
> Can you?

Well, this depends if you are using a lossless compression (as I do).
For MP3 you've already commited to lossing data - so altering the
volume permanently really doesn't have a significant impact - other
than if you have chosen to "write" the track gain values you won't be
able to swap over to the "album" gain values without a re-write in the
tags.
For lossless files performing the Replaygain alteration on the fly
results in a playback that is not truely lossless anymore.
Writing the tags (rather than the file) is useful if you want to be
able to switch between album & track gains "on the fly" for either
format.
Hope that rambling makes some sense!!

Nic

--