Ive just turned my xbox into a server and it really isnt as hard as all
that. If you want to just use an xbox as a storage box (and maybe some
other "server-ish" jobs), its as easy as peeing into a well. The
"softmod" method is full of holes to fall into, and changes for each
version of the xbox you may have (1.0 to 1.6) - installing a modchip
involves taking apart the xbox, but this really is not that hard. You
can also get adapters that save you from having to solder anything -
definitely recommended!

If you want to still use it as a games console or use Xbox media centre
and the things that involve cracked bioses, it can be a bit more
difficult. Howtos for this are riddled with mistakes, and irc channels
to get help are full of pimply faced youths with serious emotional
problems. Saying that though, there are still people willing to help.

I decided to keep the old "modded" xbox/games machine as is, and get
another xbox to use as a computer to save on power and noise - now both
the squeezebox and the computers can use the new xbox as storage. Step
by step instructions here if you decide to try it:
http://www.subvs.co.uk/xbox_linux_as_media_server

--
captainmish