Hi guys, I read all of the stuff you wrote on these pages, and all I can
say is ''Time will see''.
The big company that acquires the small one doesn't necessary mean a
drop of quality; Logitech surely has a lot of resources to spend in
this project, and Slimdevices has a killer application to sell.
I'm very interested in this situation, cause I'd like to buy the
Transporter, which is available only if imported (a lot of useless
costs, specially in Italy), but there's no official distribution
outside the U.S.
Logitech is obviously a new entry in this sector, it sells
music-related products but nothing like the Squeezebox, not to mention
the Transporter. But it owns good satellite companies that produce high
quality material, and it means a lot. Just look at the brand
3dConnexion, with its pointing devices: I have the small
SpaceTraveller, and it's absolutely a rock (even the box that comes
with it is perfect). Well, a few years ago this gadget cost 600 $, US
only, today the same article costs 200 $ worldwide available, no
quality loss (it's still a piece of metal with the jog wheel upon it).
So if Logitech wants to mantain this price/quality balance they only
have to open the market, assisting SD for sells and perhaps adding a
good remote in the box. I don't mention the software cause I'dont know
it yet, but the opensource community did a great job improoving it
first, so tomorrow they could have to develop a lot more, maybe
supported by a Logitech team.

--
bobore