just today i discovered that certain artists were not showing up in my
database properly anymore. that is, they were showing up when i browsed
through the "albums", but not if i went directly to "artists".

examples:
track=sol, artist=ishq, album=floatation
track=drifting, aritst=circular, album=floatation

first i browse through albums:
album->floatation->ishq->sol [OK]
album->floatation->circular->drifting [OK]

but when i browse through artists:
artists->ishq-> n.a. [not there]
artists-> n.a. [not there]

how bizarre is that?

the files are fine, they play perfectly and as part of a playlist they
also work fine.

now here is the strangest part: this effect is caused by my PLAYLISTS!
(see attached).

it doesnt seem to matter if i use playlists created by winamp or lists
created by slimserver itself.

and before anyone asks: yes BOTH playlist versions work perfectly.

as soon as i scan these lists, strange things happen to my repository
(see above).
when i rebuild my database without these playlists, everything is fine.
until i import them again...

before playlist scan: 747 artists
after playlist scan: 529 artists
BUT
2528 songs before AND after playlist scan. what the...?

i know the cause, but i dont know the reason. worse: i dont know how to
fix it.

my suspicions:
1. my playlists are too big, slimserver cant handle them
2. my playlists contain strange characters (icelandic, french, german,
etc.) and slimserver cant handle those
3. playlist handling is plain buggy

my system:
SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows Server 2003 - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

please help - i spent HOURS putting my lists together, i would hate to
not be able to use them!

thanx in advance!

|Filename: slimserver playlist.zip                                  |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2379|

dcote