I ran into this late last year, when I set up an Icecast server for
streaming audio from a police/fire scanner that I have.  The scanner
also has a serial port hooked to the computer that outputs the talk
group IDs.  I have a Perl script that monitors the serial port,
translates the IDs to names (i.e. "Police 1", "Fire 2", etc), then
writes it to a metadata file and signals Icecast that the information
has changed.

Winamp sees the data fine, but the SB2 I was using at the time didn't.
As best I could tell, Slimserver was transcoding the OGG stream to MP3,
and the transcoding module didn't support metadata.  Or at least that's
the impression I came away with after a quick walk though the code.
It's possible there's an option there somewhere that I missed or that
it's changed in the latest iteration of Slimserver.

--
AubreyCTurnerJr