Balthazar_B wrote:
> Going back to the first message in this thread (and others similar to
> it), I think the root issue underlying whatever frustration
> users/customers are feeling is not really open vs. closed source.
> Rather, it generally comes down to performance (i.e., perceived lack
> of) and/or bugs (usually real, rarely imagined).  As many have
> mentioned, better development processes/control (incl. regression
> testing, etc.) would help address the latter.  The former is more
> difficult, and perhaps a large portion of performance issues come down
> to the code base.  There may be certain operations that PERL, PHP,
> etc., may never be able to perform as efficiently as C dialects or
> other compiled programming languages.

Perl is a compiled language. It's compiled when you start the program.
There's no reason a Perl program can't be lightning fast. I have Perl
programs processing thousands of users at a very high speed, it's all in
the coding, of course. I have the feeling slimserver could be optimized
to make certain operations that cause the slowness perception (like
recursively adding a directory to a playlist) much faster. The web
interface is responsible for a lot of the perceived slowness. I think it
should be complemented with a slick GUI app that reacts instantaneously.

Regards,
Peter