Ron Olsen wrote:
> 1. Wire diameter. If your wire lengths are 5 feet or less, 16-gauge
> wire is fine; for longer runs, 12 gauge is better.

12 gauge is good for 20 amps.
What speakers need 20 amps? what speakers can even live with 20 amps of
current?

Unless my arithmetic is faulty, driving a 8 ohm load, you need to
have 160 volts to generate 20 AMPs, which is 3200 watts.

While some monster amps will provide that much power for a second,
the typical 100 watt amp is only going to provide 2.5 amps.

12 gauge is what a monster amp needs from the wall output (or mains).

Seems likely to be overkill for speaker wires. IMHO.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html