Guys,

I agree with the OP about remote latency, connectivity and buffering.
These are all a pain in the backside for me.

However, they are also own goals, because I'm using an underpowered
server, one of my wireless routers is surrounded by electronics, the
other is surrounded by more electronics and sits in a Faraday cage
style metal stereo rack, and I keep them at opposite ends of a house
with significant rebar. I'm perpetually amazed that my network works at
all. Even so, the only time latency becomes really ignificant is when
I'm working with both iTunes and slim at the same time.

As I see it, Logitech/Slim can deal with this issue by simply upping
the minimum required server spec and bandwidth requirements for the
broader release.

Most people will not be terrible stressed to see a requirement for a
2GHz+, 2GB+ @ 54MBs or better. If you want to get by on less powerful
hardware, you can, but don't be too surprised by the performance hit
you suffer.

--
Laz