madsk;189319 Wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to use my webserver for storage of my music files,
> terefore I need a way to connect, my squezzebox to the music files,is
> there a way to make that happen?
> Is it possible to run Slimserver on webserver?
> Regards Mads.

I assume we're talking about a web server located at some type of
datacenter, not one located in your home...

Do you have a dedicated (or virtual) web server?

It may be necessary in order to install SlimServer and other
necessary software.

Do you have control of the firewall in front of your web server?

To open any necessary ports.  Or, you might run SlimServer on
the standard HTTP port 80 (in which case you'll need an IP address
apart from the one used for your web site).  Or, maybe you want to VPN
or SSH to SlimServer.

Do you have enough storage space on the server?

If you don't own the web server, you generally pay a monthly
fee for a given amount of CPU power and storage.  The storage space
could be expensive, even if you're only using MP3.

What is your bandwidth/payment arrangement?

This can be the chief reason why a SlimServer in a datacenter
may not make sense.  If you pay the ISP per megabyte of data transfered
from your server then it might get very expensive.  On the other hand,
if you're paying a flat fee for a connection up to some number of
megabits _per_second_ in speed, then running a single 256 kbps stream
to work may not cost a penny extra.

--
JJZolx

Jim