I've also had some success with mp3splt, which does do this automatically:
http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_page/home.php

I've not tried the GUI version, but the command-line version works fine
for me on Linux. You can tune the volume that constitutes silence and
the length of silence that is needed for a gap. With a little
experimentation I've managed to split programmes up quite well with the
options "-s -p th=-40".

Stuart