bklaas;190970 Wrote:
> The thing that gets under my skin about Apple is they put things in a
> pretty package with a bow on it and all of a sudden everyone thinks
> they were the forerunners of that particular technology. Sure, they are
> design and marketing gods, but most people with brains can see past
> that. But it's not any of that which keeps me away from Apple--it's the
> way they've used proprietary DRM to monopolize a market. AppleTV will
> have the same baggage. That's a capital offense, in my book.

The best consumer products rarely break new ground with internals, they
are dependant on using tried and trusted technology for cost and
reliability reasons. Where Apple always score is usability - their
stuff just works and is really nice to look at. Slim works well too,
mostly, but the interface is obtuse and clunky in comparison if you are
Joe User and not an audiophile geek.

As for DRM, I have bought music from iTunes, but since I can also burn
to CD, I could then re-rip the tunes and bypass the initial DRM. As it
happens I only buy iTunes music for my iPod, not my stereo, so it's not
really an issue and I don't bother.

--
CardinalFang