- A cable that had digital at one end and analog would be a DAC, and no
"cable" is going to do that for you!

- "Recording level" is indeed irrelevant to a digital signal, but
that's not what you have here. If you are taking the line out from the
SB then you're in analog mode.

- I'm not quite sure what this Pogo device is, but if its the one I
found after a quick google then it has only an analog line in, no
apparent way to transfer mp3 files.

- I'm not sure how "perfect recording level" in your first post is
consistent with "have to turn the volume up a bit more than usual" in
your second, but if you're happy with what you've got then leave it
alone!

- if there's no recording level control on the device, its because its
"cheap", not because it doesn't need one....

- why anyone would make a digital music player that doesn't have the
capability of downloading mp3 files completely escapes me!

- BTW, is it one of these?
http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/09/pogos-radio-your-way-lx-radio-centric-dap/
If so it seems to have an SD card facility, if you have an SD card
reader on your PC you could use that for transferring mp3s.

HTH
Ceejay

--
ceejay