I can't honestly say this is a major issue for me, its just a little
irritating, and I'm left with the feeling that it could be better if
only I could find the magic button to push.

I'm running on Windows XP Pro SP2, SS 6.5.1, 2.8GHz P4, 1GB RAM,
internal disc. 727 albums with 8219 songs by 1510 artists.

I've tried some of the MySQL parameter tweaks mentioned earlier - they
seem to have increased the amount of memory allocated, as expected, but
no obvious impact on performance.

My Virus checker is Norton 2006: I switched it from scanning all files
to "Smart scanning" (ie not including the .MY* types) and that made no
visible difference.

The benchmark I'm using is how long it takes to respond to the "Browse
Albums" click through the Web UI: typically 12 seconds, can be as much
as 15. During this time CPU goes to 100%.

I'd certainly appreciate some authoritative comments on how the
database might be tunable for better performance, if that really is the
bottleneck.

TIA
Ceejay

--