TechHome;192296 Wrote:
> Single source, multi-room can be done cheap.  Up to 16-pairs of speakers
> may be powered from a single amp or receiver.
>
> You will need a powerful, 4-ohm stable amp or receiver, in-wall
> impedance matching volume controls (with 8x setting), speakers and of
> course a Squeezebox or Transporter.  Use any web enabled devices to
> control it.
>
> TechHome
Define cheap?
Are you talking about a new home install (bare studs) or fishing behind
drywall?
Decent ceiling and wall speakers (depending if you are an audiophile or
not) can run $150 to $200/pair.

awy;192429 Wrote:
> How about an update on the progress of your project?
>
> I started out with just SoftSqueeze and now have bought a pair of
> SliMP3s; one in the lounge connected to the main amp/speakers, the
> other in the (adjacent) kitchen. The one in the lounge was because,
> good though it is and just fine for background music or internet radio
> (the main use), the remote PC/sound-card/CAT5e/main-amp solution was
> not quite good enough for serious music listening. Since having the
> SliMP3 in place, we have come to appreciate the use of the remote, even
> though a laptop from which the web interface can be used (or, more
> often, SlimRemote), is usually to hand.
>
> The kitchen SliMP3 has been built into the boarding above the cupboards
> and looks great, with a pair of really cheap PC speakers behind the
> ventialation grill elsewhere in the boarding, and with a wireless
> ethernet bridge (all parts from eBay or the office for-sale board). In
> this case the motivation was the impracticality of getting any wiring
> to the kitchen. But again, we find the availability of the display and
> the remote are really nice. Now the real problem is keeping
> synchronization with the lounge - I am working on this (see posts
> elsewhere in this forum) - but the
> multiple-channels-from-a-single-SoftSqueeze approach that I outlined
> above would eliminate this problem (except that I have the wiring
> problem).
>
> I intend to keep the faith with SoftSqueeze elsewhere: basement TV/play
> room, laundry room and probably the cellar/workshop; all from the same
> single sound card and using various qualities of PC/powered speakers.
> But for the bedroom I definitely want a wireless SB so that it can be
> controlled with the remote.
>
> Alan.

While I have had rare issues with syncing my music between my SB2,
syncing internet radio is another story.  As diagramed here
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=103076&postcount=2) my
den SB2 and multi-zone kitchen speakers are within earshot of each
other.  It is dead on while playing my music.
Softsqueeze has never been reliable enough for my entourage.

I will be moving soon and will try to update my diagrams and costs
involved in pimping out the new house with mix of Squeezebox and
Russound audio devices.

--
bobharp

Bob Harper