i also use the amp-switch at:
http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver/dev_hard_and_software.htm#ampswitch

it works GREAT for me! with it, my SB3 wakes me up every morning to
soft music - fantastic.

it controlls a cayin A-55T tube amp, which fortunately switches
directly in to "play mode".
i also have to have my SB3 plugged in to the "CD" input on my A-55T,
because it is the "default power-on input".

unfortunately, my BOSE companion speakers for the office dont do that -
when power is switched on, they go to "stand by mode".

so when selecting an external amp to use with amp-switch, make sure it
comes to life directly, and not to "standby" or "mute".
also check for "default power-on inputs".

if all that is not agreeable to you, than amp-switch is not your
product!

dom

--
dcote