opaqueice;195629 Wrote:
> I hate it when people equate copyright violations with theft.  They are
> simply not at all alike.  If I copy a digital music file from its
> owner, I haven't taken anything away from them, or deprived them of
> anything.  It's completely unlike stealing something (which doesn't
> necessarily make it right, just different).
>
> Sometimes people argue that in copying, you are depriving the rights
> owner of possible future income, since you are now less likely to
> purchase the music (which itself is an assumption), and have therefore
> "stolen" something from them.  But you might as well argue that in
> choosing to buy one bottle of wine over another, you're depriving the
> other vineyard of potential profits, and are therefore guilty of theft.
> If you stay home and don't buy anything, are you stealing from every
> company you might have bought something from?  Obviously not - the
> concept of property and ownership just isn't the correct one for these
> cases, and it's a shame it's gotten conflated with it.
>
> This isn't an issue of moral right, it's an issue of what is best for
> our society.  In the case of physical property we have decided
> collectively it's best to allow owenership and make theft a crime and
> an immoral act.  But the question of copyright is relatively very
> recent, and nothing is forcing us to choose any particular path.
> It's no more clear that copying music is wrong than it is that
> preventing music from being copied is wrong.  It's just not a moral
> issue, at least not to me - it's a question of what is best.

Well, there is certainly a fundamental difference in that copying
intellectual property does not deprive the owner of the intellectual
property, while taking an apple deprives the owner of that apple.  On
the other hand, if we stipulate that the IP owner has rights associated
with the IP, then copying the IP deprives the owner of those rights,
just as taking an apple deprives the owner of the right to do what he
pleases with the apple.

Whether there should be any recognized rights to intellectual property
is a valid question.  Certainly, the economic incentive to invest the
time and money to produce works, be they art, music, literature,
product designs, or whatever, is severely curtailed if someone can just
swoop in, take those works, and have the revenue opportunity with none
of the initial investment risk.  Further, that dynamic leads to keeping
information secret, and therefore slows progress on the "state of the
art" that would occur if information were more readily shared.  The
basic intent of patent and copyright law is to provide the protections
that lead to such information sharing.  On the other hand, aspects such
as absurdly long terms of copyright, draconian interpretations of fair
use, etc., all subject to the whims of Congress, do not make a whole
lot of sense either.

Personally, I favor consentual contracts between IP owners and
licensees, with contract violations subject to remedy through civil
law, but I do not expect to see that in my life time.

As far as it being "a question of what is best," that is a pretty heavy
philosophical discussion in itself, lol.

--
jeffmeh