I do have it enabled in the bios - but maybe you'd be so kind as to post
your actual bios settings here - I am wondering whether something else
has 'conflicted'.

What's interesting to me is that this machine had been running a
(slightly flakey) installation of XP SP2 before I decided I'd had
enough and scrubbed it.  However, WOL+Slimserver worked (albeit using
SoftSqueeze from a Mac).  So I wonder if it's an Ubuntu config thing.

Are you on Ubuntu?

I've done my fair share of google searches to find answers, and as far
as I can tell I have the WOL set properly (using -sudo ethtool -s eth0
wol g-) and -sudo ethtool eth0- shows both the WOL settings as 'g'
which I reckon is correct.

Other than that, I'm a bit perplexed.  When the machine is sleeping, I
can see that the motherboard has some power - there are some lights on
- and the network connection is 'active' insofar as I can see that
there's continuity on my router and the little NIC lights are on.

It's just that Ubuntu fails to wake up.  For that matter, it also
doesn't wake on anything other than pressing the power button.

Hmmmmm... anyone?

Bit of good news, though: just ordered an SB3 wireless.  My longer term
plan is an SB+ or perhaps a modified Behringer DEQ2496 if I can get
everything working well with the common-or-garden SB3...

--
jtc