aubuti wrote:
> For those kind of settings one appealing way to go is to forget the amp
> and go with active speakers. Two models that routinely get high praise
> around here are Aego and Audioengine. I forget the specific model
> numbers, but search the forums for those names and you'll find the
> details. Both are well within your budget.

Problem is, they usually have bright leds that show you when they're on
which is annoying anywhere but esp. in a bedroom. Of course if they have
an auto-power function that may not be an issue.

> Or if you'd rather go with passive speakers, look at one of the T-Amps,
> like the Sonic T-amp, or another whose name escapes me right now.
> Inexpensive, simple, good quality.

I have a T-Amp in my bed room and two fairly inexpensive speakers. It
sounds even better than my living room system (probably due to the
carpeting, curtains and bed). I leave it on 24/7, it's in a closet and
it uses very little energy and produces no hiss.

Regards,
Peter