jmschnur;196501 Wrote:
> Is 6.5.1 compatible with Beta 2 of Windows Home Server. If so how does
> one install on the WHS platform?
>
> I will put off instaling for a while under I hear some user feedback.
>

> __________________
> Joel

Hi,

I installed 6.5.1 on the latest Windows Home Server Beta (I joined the
Beta this weekend). Slimserver installs exactly the same way as on XP.
The features seem to be exactly the same, apart from the ability to
automatically start at system start (vs. at login) - though maybe this
option already existetd earlier, and I simply never have noticed it. So
far no problems, but also no real reason to use Home Server as compared
to normal XP (from a Slimserver perspective, that is).

Compared to a Linux installation (I set up Slimserver on Ubuntu 6.04
Server a few weeks ago), setting up Slimserver on Windows Home Server
is a lot easier (don't need to worry about Samba settings, UTF-8 vs.
ISO-settings, configuring the firewall correctly, etc.), i.e., the
total process of installing Windows Home Server and Slimserver up and
running took me approximately 1,5 hours. Performance seems to be not
quite as good, at least Slimserver's web interface seems less
"snappy".

I haven't made up my mind yet whether I will continue to use Windows
Home Server (and eventually purchase it) or not. As stated, from a pure
Slimserver perspective, it doesn't make sense to use it because it
doesn't seem to have any advantage over XP. I need to play around more
with the other features, although at the moment the main selling points
seems the backup functionality.

Cheers,

teq

--