So just to recap - this seems a popular fault.

1) The Slimserver software worked fine and controlled the SB3.

2) The ordinary MP3 music files played.

3) The Apple files (m4a) did not play - instead the display would lock
and not do anything with the song stuck at 0.00 time.

The actions I took were:

1) Installed latest version of SS - 6.5.2 - NO CHANGE APPARANT.

2) Tried to check all 3 AAC file format boxes in SS client file types
settings which caused errors...

3) ...so I installed LAME decoder. - NO CHANGE APPARANT.

4) Deleted socketwrapper.exe and replaced it with the larger
socketwrapper file offered to me here. - Now the music would play with
apple tracks but only if you left it for about 10 minutes between
tracks.

5) I then noted that if I use the SS remote handset it was working
perfectly with no delay. This must have been the socketwrapper change
because it didn't work before like that.

6) I then rebooted the machine and it works perfectly from either the
web interface or the player.

I'm really sorry I can't just say exactly what I did to fix it so I
thought this process might be constructive if you are having a similar
fault.

Cheers,

Julian :-))

--