hey kdf,

thanks for the pointers over to bug database.  there's one thing i
think i neglected to mention in all the previous posts, however - i am
using a readynas600 from infrant technology to run the slimserver
program.  i download a pre-compiled version of slimserver directly from
infrant and upload that image to my readynas.  i do not use an
intervening PC to run slimserver.  i only need the PC to rip and
flac-encode cds.  for that, i use a linux system and the shell script
"abcde".

i do not have access to any source code, and cannot really take
advantage of slimserver being an open source product.  that's why i
kept saying that i have no access to the source code.  sorry for the
oversight!

i believe the best choice here is to downrev both the readynas firmware
and the version of slimserver.  i can go back to raidiator 2.* from the
newset version (3.01*), and use slimserver 6.3.1.  the raidiator
version that i have already has slimserver 6.5.1 built in, and will not
allow me to add on a 6.3.1 version.  so, downrevving the readynas will
have to come first.  as someone pointed out earlier, 6.3.1 will allow
for correctly-handled multiple GENRE tags, and won't force me to
reorganize tens of thousands of files.

thanks again for your help!  i appreciate it very much.

best,
-sherm

--
shermoid

"you are only young once, but you can be immature forever"
"life is uncertain; eat dessert first" - anonymous

please visit my mcintosh website: http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~sherman