On 14-May-07, at 7:02 PM, steinwaytony wrote:

> My APE files won't even play with APE-->FLAC or APE-->WAV.
>
> When I enable ONLY APE-->MP3 (LAME), there is a terrible hissing /
> "white noise" sound and hardly any music is audible.
>
> I've searched the forums for this problem, and found one thread, but it
> doesn't appear to have been solved.
>
> I've upgraded to the latest Slimserver, as well as the latest LAME.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

first, look for the convert.conf file.  It should be located where you
installed slimserver.
Open that up with your favourite text editor (use wordpad instead of
notepad if you are on windows)
Find the line:

ape mp3 * *

remove the '-x' from the line following, save and close.  Restart the
server and see if that helps.

For streaming in the other formats, go into server settings->debugging
and check d_source.
Find the link for the log at the end up the description text near the
top of the page, click on that to open a view of the log.

Watch the log when you try to play using the ->FLAC or ->WAV options.
See if there are any errors reported.  If you have trouble interpreting
the log, you can paste sections of it here.

cheers,
kdf