An update...

I looked at a sample of one the Linn Records 96kHz 24bit FLAC files I
downloaded. What I found was a significant noise hump centered at about
40 kHz, it appears to peak at -64 dB. It begins at about 24 kHz and cuts
off sharply of course at 48 kHz.

When files like this are sent to the SB3, that noise hump is going to
be aliased into the audio spectrum, centered at 20kHz? That noise hump
is very audible after the SB3 gets done decimating the 96kHz stream to
48kHz. There is a significant amount of energy in that hump - why is it
there? What purpose does it serve? When played through a Transporter, is
anything gained by its presence? It is fairly constant and does not
appear to carry any content that is coherent with the music stream.

A 96kHz file cost approximately twice what a 44.1kHz file cost. Why?
Why is that noise hump so expensive?

Anyway, The SB3 needs an FIR that cuts off at 24kHz before decimating a
96 kHz stream.

-Ron

|Filename: Linn Records 96kHz 24bit Sample.jpg                      |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2829|

Ron F.

*Squeezebox setup:* wireless SB3 -> CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU
*Main rig:* NAD 7600 + NAD 2600A -> Phase Tech PC-6.5 speakers
*Headphone rig:* Headroom Max -> Sennheiser 650s
*Other stuff:* NAD C542 CDP, NAD 6300 Tape, Monster 5100 Power
conditioner, Outlaw Audio cables