forestcaver wrote:
> powered laptop server (quiet) and a NSLU2 to store the music to drive a
> slimp3. I have a large (~30-40 k tracks) music library and just cannot
> tolerate the time to rescan on a NAS.

Did you ever consider not using a low power laptop and NAS, since you
don't like the time to rescan?

Its not clear to me that your problem is with the SlimServer, but with
your selected hardware.

> I would also like to see a more partitioned server, where the user can
> choose to install a lower footprint functionality.

Ok, you say you don't want to rant, but can you explain why you think
two versions of the SlimServer would result in you getting a better product?

While SD didn't say why they dropped the wired-only SqueezeBox, I bet a
strong reason was that the costs for making, inventorying, handling
repairs for, and selling two units with only a small difference in
selling cost exceeded the actual savings to SD.

I know that having two versions of any software can trivially double the
cost and time for QA, testing, bugfixes, etc.

powerful CPUs are nearly free, dual core Intel CPUS are under $200 and
are screaming fast. Memory is almost free, you should have a gigabyte in
any semi-serious computer server, and anything running SlimServer is by
definition a server.

I think you will be happier with the results, and I know it can happen
more quickly, if you just upgrade your hardware. Get an old PC, put it
in a closet and be happy.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html