Smiley Dan;203970 Wrote:
>  If you want your slimserver to appear as an abstraction layer/appliance
> you play music through you have to use it in some way.

Yes, but to me it seems obvious that it is indeed not the purpose of
the slimserver. It's by design tied to the squeezebox. I don't think
slimserver was ever ment as a general purpose music server, so it's
"hard" to complain about not being able to use it as one.  I such
products will appear in the future. What it seems to require is
standarized protocols for musicserver/musicclient communication. The
ones that comes to mind are avahi/upnp/bonjour, but these are partially
closed, and I'm not even sure they would be rich enough to do what
slimserver can. My guess is that in a few years this will become more
common.

> If you tie yourself to playing files you are coupling to an
> implementation of music playback. It's generally better to abstract (in
> my opinion).
>
> This is one of my biggest frustrations with SlimServer. It doesn't make
> it easy enough to do this. Stream.mp3 is primitive (only supports one
> player for starters)

I have no problems streaming to several players at the same time using
stream.mp3. I think it's just being served over http, so it's possible
for the same reasons that make the forums viewable by more than one
person at the same time. And just out of curiosity.

What is it that is so bad about softsqueeze ? If the requests are
reasonable, perhaps the developer will implement them?

--
bhaagensen