Heuer;204418 Wrote:
> Vista! Just had to remove it and re-install XP. Nice graphics but little
> else in improving performance or productivity. About 70% of my software
> will not run and there are no fixes yet.

I'm not a Vista fanboy by any measure, but 70% not working?  I mean
maybe that's true, but it sounds kind of excessive.  I'm aware that
some software has issues on Vista (Wikipedia maintains a pretty good
list), but most of these are low level utilities.  I still dual boot
with XP to mitigate risk (highly recommended if you can), but have
managed to get pretty much all my old software, including old DOS games
through DOSBox, and recent stuff including games (like Oblivion) running
great.  Any problems I've had have been all solvable by using either
Administrator mode or XP compatibility mode (my SB runs on a SuSE Linux
box, so I don't know how that would have gone).  I did have some major
sound issues, but they were pretty much solved by upgrading to an X-fi.

I'm still migrating my software over, and I'm certainly not discounting
that I may have a major problem at some point with something, but so far
Vista has surprised me by exceeding my expectations in terms of
compatibility.  Especially after reading the horror stories online. I
have absolutely no doubt that you may be having issues with some
software, but unless a huge part of your library is virus scanners and
low level utilities--or if much of your software relies on old hardware
that isn't supported by Vista, 70% sounds a bit extreme.

--
Gildahl