I am attempting to use a streaming server provider to set up a stream
relay to take a stream from my Slimserver and distribute it (eg in
Second Life), thus making it available to general listeners.

Icecast makes the most sense as it can relay a stream of the form
http://hostname:9000/stream.mp3. The icecast server accesses the stream
and appears as a player in the web interface, from which I can send it a
stream generated from a playlist.

I have been working with two different providers (Stream Solutions and
SLServer) and both have run into the same issue, which is that
listening to the icecast URL, the stream drops out after about 30-60
secs. Clicking Play on a player tuned to the icecast stream provides
another 30-60 second segment.

Our first thought was that there were bandwidth issues. The Icecast
server appeared to be complaining that the SS was not keeping up.

However I confirmed that my broadband uplink will support at least two
concurrent 128kbps streams, listening to similar streams direct in two
players in different countries simultaneously. I can also listen
uninterrupted to one 320kbps stream plus a second 64kbps stream
simultaneously.

Most of my library is in FLAC so SS is presumably using LAME to
transcode the stream in realtime. However there is no change in the
problem if I play an MP3 source file instead.

Changing the data rate limit in the player settings page has no effect,
even going as low as 64kbps although the audio quality deteriorates.

Metadata is relayed correctly.

Listening to the icecast URL with a player provides the following
interesting observation: when the stream drops out, pressing play again
the stream restarts at once, however the audio heard appears to be at
least a minute or two later than one would expect. For example, if I
start listening to a 2-minute track, the stream drops out after a
minute, but if I immmediately press Play again, the stream restarts
near the end of the track, ie a minute has gone missing somewhere.

I am wondering if something is effectively "running too fast", eg
perhaps the icecast server is underrunning its buffer because it is
actually clocking the data out at twice the speed it should ... however
I do not know the ins and out of shoutcast and in addition all the audio
sounds at the correct speed etc.

My suspicion is that there is a config mismatch between Slimserver and
icecast. Anyone any ideas?

I also need to know how to change the "Welcome to Slimserver" message
in the stream ID.

Thanks in advance!

--Richard E

--