It's all a matter of perception (mktg says "of positioning").  Yes,
individual perception but you have some rules.
First, what do you want to sell?  Do you want to sell some sort of
feelings/imaginations/vibrations?  Do you want to sell a product?  Do
you want to sell both?  (Yes, there are more.)  Have a look at some oil
companies.  They try to connect both of them.  At first glance absurd.
But they do this to avoid bad reputation.  And in that they succeed.
Have a look at the structure of Logitech.  They sell cheap and good
stuff.  They are known for being reliable at an affordable price.  The
Transporter will be their premium product.  And to sell that product
they have to change the customer's perception regarding Logitech.
There are few people that will buy that product because it's
manufactured by Logitech.  They will think "what's that?".  If they can
get something similar they may buy it from a company with more
reputation in manufacturing expensive stuff.  If they can sell more
Transporters ... we will see.  But it is good for the Squeezebox.  This
is a segment where they are nearly in.  But that will be hard because of
the Squeezebox' price.  Have a look at the price of the Pinnacle box.
And Pinnacle has a pretty good reputation in that segment.  I think it
was no good idea to remove the SlimDevices references.  They should
have been using that up to the point where they can savely transition
from SlimDevices to Logitech.  Because they now have the power to push
the SlimDevices products to new hights (but that needs invests).  I see
that -here in Germany- nobody knows about SlimDevices.  If you pushed
SlimDevices they appear new to the market and people get curious and
are willing to try the new star (powered by Logitech's marketing/money
in the background).  But if they see Logitech they will think "puhh,
what a price from such a company".  Logitech must tell them that they
have bought a great company with lots of know-how and that they can do
these things now.  But if they tell them (in Germany) that the name of
that company was SlimDevices ...
We will see.  I won't say that the decision to be part of Logitech was
a bad decision.  Maybe they have more money and power to do even better
development now.  But if it's true that the lead developer has left the
company...  We had similar occurrences.  When we grew larger some
people have left the company because it was not the same as before.
Those guys are simply not willing to do the change and see the change
as a chance for the company and themselves.  But there are others that
see the chances.  Yes, some sort of spirit may get lost and we may
notice that (even if we should not).
There is one thing I'm afraid of.  Logitech might push SlimDevice's
products into the mass market (like Media Markt / Saturn here in
Germany).  If they do not get the fast ROI they may get disappointed
and can react like other large companies do: they push away SlimDevices
or finish selling their products.  Something we all have seen several
times.  And if you have the shareholders breathing down your neck...

-slutz

--
slutz