OK, I've been round the houses with this and I've finally hit upon a way
to get exactly what I wanted.

I now get all my artists listed as Album Artist with no various artist
folder at all.

Just one point - I'm using MP3Tag to tag my FLAC files so I can't vouch
for any other method of tagging or other file formats.

Firstly, I realised that having the COMPILATION tag was generally
messing everything up for me (even if it was set to 0), so I stripped
it out of all my tracks. I then realised that the band/orchestra tick
box was not working at all so after a bit of digging in these forums I
found that although I was using both ALBUM ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags,
the key tag in MP3Tag is the BAND tag. I copied the ALBUMARTIST tag
value to the BAND tag value for all my tracks, rescanned and voila it
shows all my album artists (ahem Bands) in the artist list with no
track artists at all.

So to recap.

1)Don't use the COMPILATION tag
2)Make sure the there is a BAND tag in all your tracks showing what
would normally be the ALBUMARTIST
3)Make sure the Band/Orchestra tick box is ticked.
4)Clear and rescan.

Hope this info works for someone else.

Russ

--