Thanks Mark, this helps!
I have had the forking enabled and also raised the process priority to
the highest available to see if that makes a difference.

Now, that I gave some thinking, actually I am realizing that I need to
start two copies of prime95 or cpu-burn to load both cores when
testing, so maybe it is by system-design that a single process can not
use two cores, even when multi-threaded.
(not sure if prime95 or cpu-burn are multithreaded though)

but, in slimserver properties, perl and mysqld (I think) are listed wih
multi-threading supported, which in turn makes me to expect that they
could use two cores if available.

--
Lleo_