SuperQ;209717 Wrote:
> there are a few really REALLY low-end gige hubs out there

I'm not real good with networking so I could be wrong about all this,
but I really don't think they exist. I would be very interested to see
such a beast if you can provide a link to one. Switching technology was
mature and cheap by the time gigE came along, and although CSMA/CD is
specified for gigE, to my knowledge it has never been done. Because the
data rate is so fast, in order to do collision detection you would need
a ridiculous amount of frame padding which would effectively turn a
bunch of little chatty connections into a huge amount of link usage,
thus tons of collisions. You'd be better off with 100Mbps switched!

--
seanadams