Mark Lanctot;209773 Wrote:
> - RG values are overwhelmingly negative, mostly -7 to -10 dB.  They are
> very, very rarely positive, I'd say less than 5% of any CDs short of
> classical you could buy today.
Agreed. But as you say, classical CDs often have positive RG values.
Since my collection covers a range of styles with a wide spread of
perceived loudness, I find RG to be very useful, and would prefer it
not to clip my classical albums.

Mark Lanctot;209773 Wrote:
> - your example was purposefully manipulated to an extreme.  In my 4462
> track collection the highest positive RG value I have is probably + 2
> dB.  +21.9 dB really means it's recorded improperly.
Yes, I deliberately prepared an extreme example so as to make it
absolutely obvious that the clipping occurs. I also subsequently
uploaded a short extract of a real recording (Apassionata Sonata) that
also exhibits clipping when RG is used on the Squeezebox.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A