snarlydwarf;209107 Wrote:

> With things other than Volume, of course, it leads to a lot more
> flexibility in plugins.  Pressing "5" on my remote rates a track as
> having 5 stars using the TrackStat plugin...  There is no way that sort
> of complexity could be in the SB hardware itself.

Sure it could and it's afalacy to think otherwise. IR is very low
budget on resources. You can do pretty much anything you want with only
a tiny amount of memory in fact and very little processing power.

Anything that is decided not to be handled by the client itsle could
then be passed on to the server. Having volume NOT supported at all
directly by the player is a valid design decision, but not a very good
one. It is in fact the easy way out.

As it stands, aside from net latency, volume performance is abysmal,
but that has more to do with the assigned curve than the fact it's
controlled by the server. Not to mention going down from volume level 2
immediately goes to 0 instead of 1. Need to file that one as a bug if
it's not already there.

--
MelonMonkey

Bruno
*'Twisted Melon - Fine Mac OS Software' (http://twistedmelon.com) |
'mira - Personal Control for your Apple Remote'
(http://twistedmelon.com)*