seanadams;210085 Wrote:
> The reason it does this is because of a heuristic in the firmware that
> deliberately interprets "garbage" IR codes as the repeat command. The
> reason we do this is so that if a user points the remote control away
> from the sensor briefly while doing a press-and-hold, it still works as
> a continued press and hold. Currently there is no option to disable this
> behavior.
>
> Often times the IR sensor can be triggered by older lighting systems
> used in offices, which emit a high frequency flickering that triggers
> the sensor. In those cases it can be fixed by installing new ballasts.
> It's not so much an issue of the color of the light (its amount of IR
> content) so much as the frequency (several KHz) of any flickering. Eg
> sunlight has load of IR but won't cause a problem. This is the first
> I've heard of it being a problem with compact fluorescent bulbs. Out of
> curiosity do you have the make/model of the bulbs?
>
> Have you checked if there is anything simple you can do to work around
> the issue, such as putting the SB below a shelf, moving the light, etc?

Thank you for the in-depth explanation Sean. Proves once again how much
you guys at Slim Devices care for us customers.
I am using 4 bulbs of the type Megaman Compact 2000 MM325 (Manufacturer
Link:
http://www.megaman.de/megamanenergiesparlampen/roehrenform/compact2000/index.html
(German site)). AFAIK Megaman is a company based in Germany, so I don't
know if they even sell their CFLs outside of Germany. Over here they
have a very good reputation as a CFL manufacturer because they build
bulbs that are very compact, yet powerful and they have a very short
warm-up time. And apparently they sync very well with the SB Remote's
frequency :-)
Unfortunately they are also a bit on the pricey side. Each of the 4 23
watt bulbs costs about 30 bucks, thats why I am reluctant to throw them
out again.
I remember I used to have the same problem about a year ago when using
a Philips bulb, only back then I couldn't trace the cause of the
problem back to the bulb.

I noticed that the remote works fine if I shade the SB with my hand, so
I guess I have to place the SB somewhere else where it is covered of
come with a construction that covers it from the light.

--
sokratess