Pat Farrell;210896 Wrote:

> Wow, I didn't know they were that steep.
> My $120 junkers are looking better and better.
> Not as small, quiet or low power as the Nano-ITX.
>
> I think the pricing sweet spot is mini-ITX these days.
> Cases are cheap, MB, etc.
>
> Like an iPod, you pay for small and good looking.

Packaging drives the cost up fast than anything else today.

The box I am using can be had more cheaply here:
http://www.wdlsystems.com/ebox/ebox.shtml. It might be possible to do
the whole project for less than $600.

If doing it again, I would mount a 4 GByte IDE flash drive onto the
nano-ITX board, and install Ubuntu on it.

-Ron

--
Ron F.

*Squeezebox setup:* wireless SB3 -> CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU
*Main rig:* NAD 7600 + NAD 2600A -> Phase Tech PC-6.5 speakers
*Headphone rig:* Headroom Max -> Sennheiser 650s
*Music Server:* Nano-ITX computer running SlimCD + 750 GByte HDD ->
Netgear wireless router
*Other stuff:* NAD C542 CDP, NAD 6300 Tape, Monster 5100 Power
conditioner, Outlaw Audio cables