Slimserver is designed to work with a Squeezebox - the stream.mp3 is a
side benefit and as such its functionality is limited.  If you want a
fully functional PC player use SoftSqueeze.

To understand your "problems" you need to understand how the stream.mp3
works with WMP.  Stream.mp3 is like an internet radio stream - when you
connect it will stream the files on the playlist.  Pause without
breaking the TCP conneciton and it will not lose data.  Break the TCP
connection and data which has been sent by Slimserver to the player and
buffered by the player will be lost.

When connected, Slimserver will send as much data (i.e music) to the
player as the player (e.g. WMP) will allow.  If the player has a large
buffer then Slimserver may send a number of songs which will be
buffered by the player (WMP) until it is ready to actually send them to
the speakers..

Now to some possible explanations.
> When I select any music to play through the GUI, no music comes out. I
> have to press stop on WMP and then play in order to get any sound.
I don't know specifics but it is possible that WMP doesn't keep the TCP
connection open unless there is data being sent. So you have to press
stop & start to re-open the TCP connection.

> If I stop and start WMP steam then it just skips forward in tracks.
When you press "stop" you are breaking the TCP connection between WMP
and Slimserver.  There will be music (possibly a number of tracks) in
the WMP buffer which Slimserver has sent and therefore Slimserver
thinks the tracks have been played.   It looks like the music in the
WMP buffer is discarded and then Slimserver will resume from the next
track that Slimserver has not sent to WMP. Use Pause instead of Stop.

> If I select next song on the GUI, it doesnt switch songs for several
> minutes, where it then switch to another song, not the one I selected.
This is due to a number of tracks being buffered by WMP - as far as
Slimserver is concerned it will take action immediately but WMP will
have to play all the tracks buffered inside WMP before you will hear
the song just selected on the GUI.

--
bpa