bpa;211205 Wrote:
> If there is no router then all devices must be in the same subnet to
> communicate with each other.
>
> If there is no router there may not be a DHCP server, in which case the
> devices will use default IP addresses and there is no guarantee the
> default addresses will be all on the same subnet.
If all devices can access the internet and the modem doesn't have a
built-in router they must get their IP addresses from the ISP's DHCP
server. I think most ISPs limit the number of concurrent public IP
addresses you can obtain to 1 or 2, but not necessarily.
Post the IP addresses of your devices and it should be easy to tell if
they are public or private.
If all your devices connect directly to the internet (public IP) you do
have a security problem. Security holes can more easily be exploited if
there is no router/firewall that prevents direct access to your
computers. Also, everyone can access the slimserver web interface to
play around with the server, change settings, download your music,
etc.

-s.

--
slimpy