> Why should a scan across a network share yield a different result -  if
> networking was that unreliable corporate networks would be unworkable.

I'm seeing permission issues in our corporate network on a regular basis.
But this won't help you.

You should try to run a scan with a d_scan and d_info turned on. This
should spit out a list of what's going on with your files - which can be a
huge list. But it might have some indicators to why it's failing on some
files.

And with your number of files - can you really be sure there's no such
thing as a playlist, cuesheet, shortcut or anything. Could you please
doublecheck, just to be sure?

> The files are wither there or they aren't.  The bug / fault must lie in
> the software?

As always. But there's a lot of software involved: networking stack,
database, scanning routine, operating systems...

--

Michael