JJZolx;212705 Wrote:
> It's more than just a bit tricky.  I don't know if any of the different
> tagging specs place any requirements on field order.  What if your
> tagging program decided to neatly store fields in alphabetical order by
> field name then value?  You could have:
>
> ARTIST=Bob Smith
> ARTIST=Mark Jones
> ARTISTSORT=Jones, Mark
> ARTISTSORT=Smith, Bob

ID3v2 only allows the use of a single frame per tag (one performer tag
and one sort tag). The ordering of values within multi-value tags is
not defined by the specification.

A brief look at the ogg tag specification (also used for FLAC) implies
nothing about ordering and therefore I would assume that you cannot
trust the ordering to be preserved.

In addition, merging of ID3v1, APE and ID3v2 tags may result in
multiple additional fields being obtained. For example, ID3v1 might
hold the name 'Chris de Burgh' and the ID3v2 might hold the name 'Chris
De Burgh'. These would appear as two distinct, different artists and so
be placed in the array. This would cause confusion between any assumed
ordering for the TSOP field. A solution to this particular problem is
to untick the box that says to use ID3v1 tags.

Anyhow, as you say, the above reordering may quite happily be performed
by the tag editor, and cause chaos. And the walls will come tumbling
down.

--
gerph