***Fixed my own problem, some of you may be interested in knowing what
fixed it.***
-----------------

For some reason, my Nvidia Forceware hardware based firewall did not
retain my port forwarding settings after restarting it (it was down
while I configured my new router/modem).

I am not a beginner, but have moved and have a whole bunch of new
network hardware; I couldn't remember the port numbers, so I found this
**apparently incorrect** Slim  Devices wiki entry:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide

It incorrectly (apparently)states that port forwarding is not needed if
you are only trying to access SS within your private network. I figured
it must be something new, and did not set up port forwarding for either
TCP or UDP for either port 9000 or 3483.

At least for the Nvidia Forceware Firewall and my router combination,
this was necessary. As soon as I added those forwards, I was able to
connect via LAN and WAN where before I could not.

--
swank