I have a 550 also and I really like it. It's far from my perfect remote
- I'm still waiting for the successor to the current generation of
Harmony remotes, which (I assume) will incorporate the new Jive
platform and will (I hope) allow me to browse my library directly on
the remote. But I needed a new universal remote sooner than that, so I
got the least expensive Harmony currently available. When the fancy one
comes out, I'll buy that, and move my 555 into the bedroom.

I don't like the online programming either, but it works OK and I live
with it to have a remote with such a high WAF.

In regards to your original question, I have one other thing to point
out: You can also reprogram the hard buttons, some of which will have
no meaning when the Squeezebox is your current "activity". I have the
"Guide" button programmed to bring up the Search menu, so I don't have
to page through the soft buttons. There are also four more hard buttons
along the bottom ("Sound", "Picture", "A", "B") that can be repurposed,
if you have a good memory. With all of those buttons available I
haven't regretted not having the 880.

--
sclamage