erland;218503 Wrote:

> Now, saying all this, there is a solution to this problem which I also
> mentioned in my previous post.
> - Leave the SB as a thin device
> - Sell a hardware solution with pre-installed, pre-configured
> SlimServer.

I think that is a huge opportunity for someone (a ton of people use
Qnap's for that reason): a commodity slim-pc of some sort (there are a
ton of these) with a slimcd for the OS/Software and a hard drive for
music.  Some simple scripts for basic ripping/tagging (though it should
probably use Gracenote (eww) since cddb sorta sucks) with the music
store exported as SMB for easy manipulation/retagging from Windows.

I'm not sure that is in Logitech's plans or if they want to leave that
to others... but really that and a Nokia770/800 would beat a Sonos any
day.  (Especially if you allow external USB drives for additional
storage as well as backups.)

The SlimCD approach would allow for a simple "oops I bricked it" ...
boot from the CD (the good thing about PC architecture in this case is
the Boot rom....) and from a web interface you could "reinstall"
without wiping the music.

Let's see: the guy who did the SlimCD now happens to work for
Slim/Logi...

As does the guy who did the nifty Nokia skin...

Buy one, hide it in a cabinet and only feed it when you get new music.

--
snarlydwarf