Thanks for everyone who chimed in with suggestions.  Unfortunately, I
don't have the flexibility to change the configuration as I originally
described it.  It's not actually my installation.  I'm doing it for a
relative on a very tight budget and they insist on not changing what
the already have.  Selling them on the idea of Squeezebox was a major
effort.  So, the configuration I originally described is what I'm stuck
with despite the excellent suggestions in this thread.

With that in mind, when I plug Squeezebox into and ICS PC (which will
also be running Slim Server), will the ICS box grant Squeezebox an IP
address, thereby giving it access to Slim Server?  I'm thinking yes, in
light of the fact that when ICS is activated a DHCP server is created as
well.  Put another way, when Squeezebox is initially connected, it
should 'look like' its connecting to a router.  Again, any thoughts
appreciated.

--
ShutterShock