Okay - just to close and ask one more question...why shouldn't I just
use the Apple Lossless.  It appears to be supported (at least in the
software).

Not to drag out what I did but I installed Itunes on my server, loaded
my library (without the option to copy it into another folder).
Deleted all the non-lossless stuff, then did a copy and paste to a
separate folder.  In order to get them organized, I deleted the list
and then checked the 'keep organized' and 'copy to my own library'
options then added the music on from the folder.  I then added the
music from the mp3 folder and that's my library now.

--
FTJoe