Michaelwagner;219296 Wrote:
> Something I don't think got mentioned in this thread ... many of us
> owned a fat (or at least fatter than an SB) mp3 player - the Audiotron.
> While there were many reasons why it failed, it's fatness (and the
> consequent slowness by the time it got to market) was one of the
> reasons.

Time has passed and h/w has gotten more capable.  With a faster
processor in the client and more non-volatile storage in the client, a
modern Audiotron-like device should be much faster in operation.  It is
also possible to keep the music library database on a file server rather
than in the fat client.

The Sonos system seems to have a fat client architecture. It has a
limit on the number of tracks (40-50,000 tracks) that it can index in a
library but otherwise it seems to be an adequate approach.  The
advantage is that it can play music files from a file server box
without any Sonos supplied server s/w.  I don't think that the Sonos
h/w has been updated lately so it might be possible to raise the limits
of the Sonos units.

So I think this sort of fat client architecture is viable.

Bill

--
Listener