Mark and Jim are correct in their respective assertions that most people
use routers instead of access points as well as most routers can be used
like an access point.

In my setup at home I use an access point.  I already had an 8 port
switch and have a dsl router.  I felt an additional router would be
redundant.  I have a Linksys WAP54G and it works great.

For my parents, I picked up a WRT54G.  They didn't have an ethernet
switch, so this killed two birds with one stone.  To avoid the router
functionality (they have the same dsl setup as me) all I did was plug
their computer and dsl router into the switch ports and leave the WAN
port open.  Easy as pie and works great.

At the time I bought my parents their router it was 28USD cheaper than
the access point, and Sprawl Mart had the router in stock.  If I had to
do it again I would've bought the router.  Why not get the extra switch
ports and have the option of the DD-WRT firmware?

--
4mula1

SlimServer 6.5.3 + Solaris 10 x86: Because Linux would've been too easy!