written on it!

It is very similar to the Fortuna system here:
http://www.fortunaclassical.com/5-3-06/maestro/interface.cfm?movie=search

It's also very like the dabs way of shopping at www.dabs.com

The basic principle is to have a filter-based system whereby one can
browse through genres.  In the genre tag I use multiple values as
follows:
> Classical (included in all classical)
> Period - baroque (there are 6 or 7 periods, all with tags of this
> format)
> Scale - orchestral (there are just three scales - also instrumental and
> chamber)
> Instrument - violin (there are many different instrument choices)

Ideally, these would be dynamically generated, so people who had
different systems would just tag as appropriate, and the filter system
would realise that the " - " (or whatever) was a separator.  It would
then produce the filter system automatically.

Then there would be a system for selecting the other fields: artist and
album, certainly; opus number, conductor, orchestra and soloists would
be great but not essential.

Then we'd have a big list of what currently fits into the filter
criteria.

Then there would be some drop-downs for what (and how much) to show,
sort order etc, and how to group things.

Here is an illustration of what I'm getting at:

[image:
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x67/AmDismal/ExampleFilterSystem.jpg]

This would work via the web browser only - I don't think it makes sense
via the remote.  It does need to work on my Nokia 770 too!

So not much to ask for $100 is it? :)  I think it is something that
should be included by Slim Devices, but since they have not done so,
and are not looking like it, I need to rely on the open source
community.  If others make valuable contributions, I'll happily
contribute CDs from Amazon wishlists or whatever.  If there is a better
place for such requests (feature request on bugs?), then let me know.

And, of course, if anyone else wants to contribute cash, it might
provide more of an incentive!

Adam

--
adamslim

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have
others

http://www.last.fm/user/AdamSlim/
'Last.fm group: people who don't listen to any of last.fm's top
artists'
(http://www.last.fm/group/People+who+don%27t+listen+to+any+of+last.fm%27s+top+artists)

SB+, EAR 859, Living Voice Auditorium II plus some other stuff
SB3, Shek d2, Ming-Da MC84-C, Harbeth HL-P3ES