egd wrote:
> Just wondering whether anyone knows how much bandwidth is consumed when
> streaming lossless FLAC audio to an SB3.  Bascially I'm curious as to
> the point at which one would saturate an 85mbps netplug's throughput
> capability (all else being equal).

You can get a decent estimate pretty easily.

On http://www.pfarrell.com/prc/bits.html I show how many bits are in a
RedBook stream, which is the raw, uncompressed PCM stream (wav, etc.)

The short answer is that raw PCM takes
        = 1,411,200 bits/second
        = 176,400 bytes/second
        = 172 Kbytes/second

Most FLAC files are about half that, so they would require about
90Kbytes/second

To be safe, you should add in 20% or so for TCP/IP overhead, headers,
checksums, addresses, etc.

Thus one megabit per second, delivered is more than enough.

Pat

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html