After updating SlimServer to 6.5.4 on my XP machine, my Squeezebox went
into an endless loop of reporting successful download of new firmware
followed by an error "Problem: update failed" and a reset.

I've tried the obvious things below:
Moving it from wireless to ethernet
Factory reset of the SB3 (remote and '+' key)
Trying different firmware (6.5.3 and 6.5.1)

All result in the same behavior - unit prompts for "Software Update"
and for me to press the brightness control.  I can skip to the browse
menu to use the player, but the SlimServer browser page is telling me
to update the firmware on the player which always fails.

At this point I seem to have exhausted tech support options other than
returning the unit for repair.

Any ideas? I did not see anyone else reporting this specific problem on
the forums.

thanks,

--
otipher