I think the iPod Touch really has a huge potential, the nice thing with
it is that it can be a combined SlimServer controller, portable device
and information central.

It's still left to see if the music synchronization will be limited to
iTunes or if it will be hackable so third party applications also can
perform the synchronization.

My vision would be a portable device that:
- Is small enough to put in a pocket
- Has at least about 6GB storage to carry music with you
- Has the ability to synchronize its storage with SlimServer (without
iTunes).
- Can act as a SlimServer controller
- Can work as a general information central for simple internet
browsing.
- Can be used to preview and buy music online so it is downloaded
automatically to your SlimServer library and the portable device.

I think the iPod Touch has potential to be this device, if only Apple
has made it open enough to run/integrate third party applications with
it. Knowing the previous releases from Apple, this is probably not the
case, so I'm guessing that the hope that remains is that someone hacks
it. SlimServer control will work out of the box, the problem is making
music synchronization and purchasing possible without iTunes.

There is one thing to think about with the iPod Touch though, when you
think about it the iPhone is almost the same device with the huge
advantage that you can be online also outside wifi access areas.
Previously I thought about the iPhone as a mobile phone, but the iPod
Touch really got me to think that the phone/communication part of the
iPhone might actually not be the thing I would use most. I'm just not
sure yet if the iPhone would be to correct choice if music/media
playing is the major usage area, iPod Touch might be better for this
even if i would miss the online access outside wifi areas.

I was dangerously close to the preorder button on Apples site
yesterday.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'
(http://erland.homeip.net/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and RandomPlayList plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer))